Day 1 : Istanbul or Mardin
Arrival in Istanbul, transfer to your hotel and free time to recover from travel.
Yet, depending your landing time in Istanbul and the flight schedule to Mardin, you may prefer to continue straight to Mardin.
Overnight in Istanbul
Day 2 : Mardin
In the morning, transfer to the airport for a flight to Mardin… we will shortly step in an unknown world. Upon arrival, transfer to our hotel and time at leisure.
Overnight in Mardin.
Day 3 : Mardin
To start our tour, we will visit Hasankeyf, a ciff top Roman ruin and the old town of Midyat, an architectural marvel. After lunch, we will Anitli before continuing to Mardin (as opposite to Diyarbakir, called the “White Town”) which overlooks the vast plains of Mesopotamia, the land “between the streams” ie the Tigris and the Euphrates.
Overnight in Mardin.
Day 4 : Mardin
From Mardin we will spend the day in the area visitng the Syriac monasteries of Mar Gabriel, Darulzaferan.
In the afternoon, if time permits, at leisure to stroll the streets of old Mardin.
Overnight in Mardin
Day 5 : Sanliurfa
We will drive through the plains of Mesopotamia with a stop at Gobeklitepe, a 10.000BC temple construction and then continue towards Harran to visit the famous “Beehive” houses and then continue to Urfa, known as birthplace of Abraham which explains the city is also called the “City of Prophets”. We will visit the Abraham’s caves, the Sacred Carps pool and the animated and colorful bazaar.
Overnight in Sanliurfa.
Day 6 : Kahta
In direction of Adiyaman we will cross the Ataturk Dam built on the Euphrates (brief stop). From Kahta, we will visit the Mount Nemrut and the sanctuary of Antiochus I (at sunrise or sunset, depending the season and weather conditions).
Overnight in Kahta.
Day 7 : Gaziantep
As we explore the Euphrates (Rumkale Fortress, the valley submerged by the Birecik dam), we will reach reach the Roman city of Zeugma and tour Gaziantep : the archaeological museum is a treasure chest of superb Roman mosaics from Zeugma saved in extremis from the Birecik dam waters.
Overnight in Gaziantep
Day 8 : Istanbul
For those interested, the day can be spent to visit the Hittite site of Yesemek.
At choice, morning or afternoon flight to Istanbul where you will spend overnight
Day 9 : Istanbul
Full day Istanbul Highlights including :
- The Ayasofya museum (note : closed on mondays)
- The Sultanahmet (Blue) mosque
- The Topkapi Palace - without the Harem (closed on Tuesdays)
- The Hippodrome
- If time avaible, the Yerebatan Cistern and/or the covered bazaar
Day 10 : Going home full of nice souvenirs ?
Time at leisure till transfer to the airport or time to say farewell to Turkey.
1. Depending the seasonality or some international events (congress, fairs...) prices of the proposed hotels may vary.
2. Due to closure days of some sites and museums, tours may be swapped to ensure the best running of your program. We have endeavored to show these in the program.
Possible program alternatives :
1. Private excursions at any or all destinations (supplement to be added)
2. Higher or lower hotel category (price difference to be reflected)
3. Guide services in other language than English (supplement possible)
4. Possible connection with other tours you have booked with third parties
5. Chauffeur driven rental car (supplement to be added)
6. This is a program proposal. We are open to any additions or reductions you may require. These will be reflected in the new quotation.
The price quoted is based on a party of 2 adults in a double room